How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34896
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My civil partner has recently left me and I desperately

Customer Question

My civil partner has recently left me and I desperately need advice on a particular financial question.
We have been civil partnered for 8 years and have a daughter. I discovered she
started a relationship abroad and has since left the family home.
We have separate bank accounts as well as a joint account for funding the family home.
I have transferred a sum of money from my partner's account as she was spending huge amounts of money whilst abroad. I had access to her bank card, card reader and pin number beforehand as we were renovating the house and I had permission to transfer money from her bank account.
The money in all our accounts was seen as joint money but I chose to transfer half of the money from this particular account as I thought this was only fair leaving exactly 50/50 until all assets is legally divided
I am now concerned I am not within my legal rights, even though my partner had given me permission and left be details to move money around can you please advise if I should transfer this money back........
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstHas your partner asked about this matter?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes she was in Thailand and sorry to be blunt but started a relationship out there with a woman she met in a bar in Bangkok
We were on an island and she left myself and our daughter to go and be with this woman
Both myself and our daughter were very distressed so we returned to England immediately
I found out that this woman was a sex worker in the bar and my partner had been paying her large amounts of money
In order to protect myself and my daughter I transferred half of the cash that was in an account in my partners name because that was where the cash was held
I had been given permission to move money out of it to for renovations whilst she was away
She had given me her card and PIN number to do this
But when I found out what was happening in Thailand I transferred 50% of the cash into my account and left 50% in hers as I was worried she would transfer all of it to this woman In Thailand she has got entangled with
I have only done this as a temporary solution until we look at it through solicitors
I have a house and 8 year old child to care for now
I gave also suggested we open an escrow account until this is sorted but she is not happy with my action
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Where did the money in that account come from?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The money came from inheritance from 2 years ago from when my partners father died we had just bought land in Thailand and were about to use it to build a villa there
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Technically you had no right to move the money since the account was in your partner's sole name and whilst you had access to it that was for a specific purpose
However it is unlikely that the police would take any action - however within the eventual settlement it is unlikely that the inheritance will be shared equally between you if there are other assets that can be shared
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details