How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I am aged 74 years living apart from my wife

This answer was rated:

hello, I am aged 74 years living apart from my wife for the past 8 years. we are not divorced. I get old pension and pension credit. my rent is £525 pcm and I receive council benefit of £419.56 pcm. I live in a flat owned by a private landlord.
my query is this. my daughter rents out a house and currently has a tenant. due to my age I am suffering from mental health and she wants me living closer to her.
if I took over the tenancy of this property would I still be entitled to claim housing benefit to help with my rent. although this is family this would be a business agreement.
thank you
Hi, thanks for your question.
Yes, housing benefit would be available for you however the rate may be less than you are receiving now depending on the size of the property.
What borough would the new property be in so that I can further assist?
Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you