How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jenny Your Own Question
Jenny, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6428
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jenny is online now

Madam, I am a freelance cameraman working as a

This answer was rated:

Dear Sir / Madam,
I am a freelance cameraman working as a limited company and currently having trouble getting an invoice paid for £2400 (inc VAT). The invoice was emailed on 17/11/15 and due on 17/12/15, so is now over 1 month overdue. I sent a reminder on 5/1/16, then called the company on 6/1, 11/1, 13/1 and have just emailed their MD today. If I get no response I would like to draft a Final Demand and threaten court action. Please can you advise:
1/ What timescale for payment should I put on the demand?
2/ Should I use one of the various templates such as on the site, or even pay a firm to do the letter?
3/ I have read that I can charge interest and £70 debt recovery fee, which I presume would mean producing a new invoice, and does this then extend the timescale for payment? Does VAT go on these extra charges?
4/ The invoice includes a discount of £80 on my fee, can I retract this or is this inadvisable?
Your help is much appreciated,
Giles Pritchard
Hello my name is***** am a solicitor and I am happy to help you today. I will attempt to answer your questions in order. 1. I would recommend a timescale of 14 days. 2. You can do either of these. A solicitor's letter often is taken more seriously though. It is up to you whether you are prepared to pay for one or not. 3. I would not attempt to charge these at this stage. I would just seek repayment of the invoice, the fees are normally added after you have taken legal action and succeed. You can say you will seek interest and costs in the event you need to go to court. 4. I would not advise doing this unless your terms stated that this was on the basis that your invoice was paid on time. Is there anything further you would like to know?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Jenny,Thanks for your quick response. Your answers have given me a clear plan of action. If I decide to use a solicitors letter what should I expect the fee to be approximately?Giles
I would imagine in the region of £200 plus VAT. Most high street firms will deal with debt recovery so if you make a few calls you will definitely sort this out easily. If there are any further questions please let me know. Otherwise I would be grateful if you would kindly take the time to rate my answer as I am not otherwise paid for the time I have spent working on your question. Thank you and all the best with this, and please do come back to me in the future if you need to.
Jenny and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No further questions, ThanksGiles
Thanks for the rating Giles, all the best.