How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jenny Your Own Question
Jenny, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6466
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jenny is online now

I paid a deposit to an interior designer who has not fulfilled

This answer was rated:

I paid a deposit to an interior designer who has not fulfilled her brief. I paid £1000 and have asked for a refund. Can I do anything about this?
Hello my name is***** am a qualified solicitor and I am happy to help you today. Please can you explain the situation in more detail? Has she carried out the work at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi. I know this is a small matter but it's really got my goat! Her first letter was to do interior design for 3 areas of the house, she turned up with mood boards for 2 rooms and not to my taste at all, although we had discussed it all. I paid £1000 deposit, she said it would be £2000 for it all which would be refundable on completion of the product.
I'm a bit confused, has she carried out the work or not, it is important that I understand the situation fully.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She has made 2 mood boards to show me suggested work. There has been no work on the house in actual decoration work.
Thank you and you are, I assume not happy with the suggested work, has she changed the plans to meet what you do want? Are you just asking for the deposit (£1000) to be refunded?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was not happy with the suggested work and said I'd lost confidence that we were going down the right track. Today I asked her for £600 to be refunded to me, she said no as she has done more work on an hourly rate than that. There is no mention of hourly rates in the letter. I said that she hasn't fulfilled what she said she would do in the first letter to me (ie. plan the look for the hall immediately - there was no mention of any hall work or decoration on the mood boards).
Ok thanks, ***** ***** letter of engagement (contract) state what will happen if you are not happy with the plans?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, nothing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She says in letter "as part of the design process we tackle floor, wall and ceiling finishes, lighting, the stove area, furniture, storage and display furniture, soft furnishings and budgeting for the project. We can plan the look for the hall immediately. I will charge £2000.00 for concept design boards for the three areas. This will be refundable on completion of the project (TV and sitting rooms) and includes VAT @ 20%. "
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She then came with 2 mood boards, stated that she hadn't done the hall area (so that is the 3rd area). The mood boards were not to my taste but had 1 light on them, a sofa she said was just for an idea but not what she really had in mind, no floor coverings, no fire hearth ideas, but not in colours that we'd talked about in her visit before.
Ok thanks, ***** ***** to send her a letter before action to state that on the basis of the drawings you are not satisfied that the work is of a satisfactory (reasonable) standard and therefore you want to terminate the contract and require a refund of the deposit paid under the Supply of Goods and Services , you can also say that she is in breach of contract for failing to produce drawings in accordance with your instructions. You can say that you believe that you are entitled to a full refund but in order to avoid litigation you will accept £600. You should give her 14 days to agree a solution. Hopefully she will agree to it otherwise you can bring a small claim online at you have any further questions please ask. Otherwise I would be grateful if you would rate my answer before leaving the site. Thank you and all the best.
Jenny and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Thank you very much. I will do that.
No problem, good luck with it and thanks for rating my answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HiI wrote to the interior designer as you suggested giving her 14 days to reply and stating that I would accept £600 back as a refund (I paid her £1000). She has written back with quite a long letter disputing what I said in my letter, and with a cheque for £200.00. I do not want to accept £200.00. What should I do now?
If you bank the cheque and the letter states it is in full and final settlement then you will not be able to claim. Your options are either to bank the cheque and cut your losses or send it back and claim.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it says she offers me £200 as a full and final settlement. So do I send it back and just say I don't accept it? And then make a claim at the ? Does that cost me money?
Hi yes you do that and then make the claim , the issue fee for the claim is £60.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks for your help.
no problem