How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50165
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I am seeking legal advice regarding ex boyfriend that I

This answer was rated:

Hi. I am seeking legal advice regarding ex boyfriend that I was with for 7 years. I broke up with him 2012. During the time we were together he managed to borrow in total £50,000. He har returned about £4000 over a long period of time.I have not been seeking advice as I was embaressed about the fact that being so naive and stupiedto lend so much money to someone that I didn,t know so well.I am seeking advice now because it doese bother me alot that let someone to use me to that extend that I feel sick about it and all so I am realising it now that he hasn,t got the intension of returning the money. Is it anything that I can do legaly to get justice for his action. Please advice. Kind regards ...
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Do you simply wish to pursue him for the rest?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What are my options.? Can I do that as I haven't got any written binding contract?
What do I need to have as a evidence for letting these money to him???
It does not matter legally if there is nothing in writing – a contract would still exist between you and him because the money was lent and never paid back. If you want to take it further, whenever a dispute arises over money owed by one party to another, the debtor can be pursued through the civil courts for recovery of the debt. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps: 1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the debtor to voluntarily pay what is due. 2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the debtor must be sent a formal letter asking them to repay the debt, or at least make arrangements for its repayment, within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to recover the debt. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action. 3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the debtor and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this. Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much for your profetional advice. Will for sure rate you 5 star. Thanks again.
You are welcome, all the best
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you