How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 818
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

My partner was bound over to keep the peace 12 years ago,

Customer Question

Hi, my partner was bound over to keep the peace 12 years ago, and I need to know if this is classed as a criminal conviction? We want to travel to Austrilia and need to know if we need to declare this on te visa application
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just to clarify, it was 10 years ago not twelve. And he was bound over for 12 months.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
Being bound over to keep the peace is not the same as being convicted of an offence. There is no admission made. It is a way of ending court proceedings without an admission of gilt or a verdict of any sort being entered. Someone who is bound over to keep the peace does not lose their good character.
Where t need to declare it on a visa application will depend on the precise wording of the question asked by the Australians. He will have either been charged or summonsed to court for an offence (probablay minor) but he has not got a conviction or a criminal record.