How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My long term partner of 15 plus years has decided to separate

Customer Question

my long term partner of 15 plus years has decided to separate and sell the home, the house is in her name but i have been the sole financial provider for this time can i prevent this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
HIThank you for your questionMy name is***** shall do my best to help you but I need some further information firstHow much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgageWhat have you actually paid for over the years?Are there any children involved?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The house is worth £250,000 it was bought for £175.000 there is no mortgage, I have paid 95% of all bills (utility, upkeep food clothing) my partner has only claimed income support while I have been in full time employment since we came to live here, there are no children involved, no 3rd party and minimal debt (about £1000)
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Have you paid for any alterations or improvements?Did your partner ever promise you a share of the property
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have paid for repairs and improvements (re-pointing of brick work, secure fencing, re decoration, new furniture, drainage work, garden work) My partner has promised me 50% of the equity
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Has she now said that she will not pay you anything?