How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Back in the end part of 2010/2011, I had an endowment insurance

This answer was rated:

Back in the end part of 2010/2011, I had an endowment insurance which was due out to help pay off part of my mortgage. The payment of £10,000duly went into my Lloyds bank account from the insurance company prudential. Un beknownest to me, my husband at the time, and joint holder of my bank account had been listening to all my conversations re insurance, there was some difficult getting the payment through from insurers, disappeared out. When I asked the bank where the money had gone, they said they had given the money to my husband. I was furious, as the money was in my name alone, clearly marked from prudential and was mortgage money. I took the manager to task over it, suggesting that he should have asked me for my permission before giving it to him. His answer was it was a joint account, my husband had a perfect right to it. No apology or anything else was ever forthcoming him. I am not even sure I have any redress whatsoever now, but a friend has very recently suggested I should try? My husband refused to return the money to me, and I consequently divorced him.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Was it taken from the joint account please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, it was
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What I really want to know is 1) do I have any redress at all against the bank concerned? and 2) am I already out of time? Is there a time limit on these things?
It's bad news then, the money was paid into the joint account and as such the bank did nothing wrong. If it was joint he is able to take it out. If you wanted it to be only yours then you should have asked the bank to pay it into a sole account or remove him from the joint one.
However I would try the financial Ombudman, they can investigate this for you. They offer a free, independent service at
But if they can't help then it would be for you to issue a claim in the county court against your ex.
Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you