How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10973
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I am considering buying my mothers home at a below market value

This answer was rated:

I am considering buying my mothers home at a below market value price.
I understand that the 7 yr rule applies to her estate if she were to die within that period.
My question is with either a gift in form of direct cash or a reduced price for the house is the recipient liable for any form of Taxation other then the potential inheritance tax on my mothers estate?
1. Dear *****, there is no such thing as Gift Tax in the UK. Nor is there any form of Transfer Tax for cash transfers. There is Stamp Duty payable upon any property transfers. However, apart from this, there is no other tax, apart from potential Inheritance Tax payable on a transfer of either money or property from your mother to you. So, if your m,other survives for seven years after the date of the date of transfer to you, then there is no tax payable at all.
2. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your Question.
Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you