How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71140
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My sister had me arrested saying I had signed a cheque in my

This answer was rated:

my sister had me arrested saying I had signed a cheque in my mothers name to which I was released with no further action as I wouldn't even dream of robbing my own mother, but she is still insisting that I did so. I have lost my home and family because of this help.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
do I have a case against her I have witnesses including my solicitor and a mediator, my solicitor does not deal with libel I would like to know where I stand, surely people cannot go around saying these false accusations and getting away with it.
Well, they usually do.
Does she have any money?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I suppose so she owns her own property and her husband works for a bank and is a teacher herself.
What was the specific lie that you can disprove?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
that I did not sign a cheque in my mothers name, my mother signed it as proved by the fraud squad after my arrest. my sister is still insisting and telling everyone that I still did it.
How can you prove it was signed by her?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
because the police said it was her handwriting and not mine and I wouldn't dream of robbing my own mother. this is my 5th question so do you think I should see a solicitor who deals with this I live in Bristol.
Not unless there is more to this.It might well be that you can prove that you didn't do this but what you are describing at this stage is a situation where the police cannot charge you because they cannot prove that you did. The two are entirely different things. Showing a person has been disbelieved is not at all the same thing as showing that they have lied.In any event, if you sue she could always rely on the defence of fair comment and then she would only have to prove it was a reasonable comment in all the circumstances. I don't know what her explanation is for this.If you just want to silence her then you could get a solicitor to write to her for about £100 warning her of the law of defamation and actually that usually does deter any repeat of slander. I wouldn't even think of actually going to court though on this evidence.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you