How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10976
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

HiMy family(wife, daughter and I) are planning on immigrating

This answer was rated:

My family(wife, daughter and I) are planning on immigrating to the UK. We currently live in South Africa, my wife and daughter have Portuguese passports(EU passports) and I have a South African passport. I have applied and obtained an EEA family permit through my wife who sponsored me.
I now want to apply for uk residence card as I have to work in the UK as I am the main bread winner...although my wife does work. We will be taking money to the UK and will also be staying with my wife's brother...until we get ourselves up and running.
I want to just find out a few things and hoping that you can help :)
How easy will it be to obtain a residency card?
Will the UK home office approve me getting a residence card on my current status(EEA family permit)?
Do I need to be in the UK to apply for residence card?
Do you know anybody that is able to help apply for residence card?
Kind regards
1. Dear Shawn, as you are probably aware, you can apply for a residence card once you have been six months on an EEA family permit. This lasts five years and gives you the ability to live and work in the UK for that period. Be aware that after five years residence, you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain and settlement in the Uk. One year after obtaining settlement & ILR, you can apply for UK citizenship.
Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
2. You should be in the UK WHEN you apply for a residence card. This is because you need to be able to show you are either working, studying, self-employed or self-sufficient in the UK when applying for a residence card. You cannot be applying for a residence card when you are outside the UK. You run the risk of it being refused even though you fulfill the requirements. the UK Border Agency will approve you for getting a residence card based on your current status. Here is a link to the UK Government website which sets out the procedure
Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
3. You can seek the assistance of a visa agency in applying for a residence card. However, this is an expensive luxury. There is no magic to getting a residence card. Your EEA Family Permit entitles you to it. So I would suggest you simply fill in the application form on the webpages I have directed you to and do it yourself.
Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
4. Please RATE the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert receives no payment for answering your Question.