How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50161
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I lent £5000 to a friend in November 2015 which she agreed

This answer was rated:

Hi. I lent £5000 to a friend in November 2015 which she agreed to pay in March 15,2016 the latest. We had a fall out right after I gave her the money due to a very rude email she sent me (this was not money-related). I've asked her to pay the money the back a few times in November and December but up to now (January) she has not been responding to our calls and messages. Unfortunately, I don't know where she lives so I cannot fill in the online money claim form. However, I have lots of evidences that she definitely borrowed the money from me and I even have her full bank account details. Can you please give me advise on what to do? Thank you.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What ways do you have of contacting her?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have sent her three emails, 2 text messages and my husband has been calling her mobile number for 10x every day this whole week
So do you not have a way of finding her physical address?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What are my chances of getting my money back?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have tried calling the Royal mail in Crawley and Horley to see whether I could reach her there but the people I spoke with did not seem to know her. I have a copy of her passport so I know for sure her real name.
Before you have any chance of getting the money back you would have to try and find her address because you may have to use the small claims court to pursue the money you are owed. Finding out where she lives could be something you do yourself for a small fee, for example by using the service which searches the Electoral Register, or you may wish to pay a bit more and use the services of a private investigator – this should be a relatively simple job for them so a reasonable fixed fee should cover it – I would expect it to be less than £100. So once you have her address you could then start issuing legal proceedings against her to try and get the money back. Be warned though that even by going to court you are not guaranteed payment. For example, she could refuse to pay after the court finds in your favour. It would then be up to you to try out different enforcement methods to try and pursue the court judgment. This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of what enforcement methods are available to you should it come to it, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will call wait for your call. Thank you.
Will call shortly, just finishing off a couple of earlier call requests