How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71053
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

A friend told me that her ex husband is treating her bad and

Customer Question

A friend told me that her ex husband is treating her bad and she doesn't have a place to stay, she stayed in my house for 4 months with me paying everything...she then started emotionally manipulating me saying she will kill herself, she doesn't have money, she then asked me if we can do any kind of marriage and she can take some this stage I felt very worried that she will commit suicide so I sent her 27K£ (I have bank transfer) but no agreement, she then suddenly left the country, and I knew she's trying to get married to someone and take his money so I asked for my money she told me she bought an apartment and cant sell it now, she started taking more money from me which I refused and now she is saying she have given the money to someone else and will not pay there any way I can get my money back ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Is she back in the UK now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No she is still outside UK
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know when she will be back or if she have a plan to come but she is a UK citizen
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Do you know where she is?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I have her address & mobile number in Egypt
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All I have as evidence is the bank transfer to her account and whats app messages saying she doesn't have the money and she will not there anything I can do ?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
To be wholly honest, not a great deal.
At least, if the transfer was on the basis that she would return it then you do have a claim against her. The problem is that she isn't in the UK and you can't sue her here because you know she is no longer at her last known address.
Whether you could sue in Egypt depends on their domestic law but I would imagine the answer would be they don't have jurisdiction.
If she returns to the UK then you can sue her. If you are time barred then you could try to get that extended on the basis that she is hiding abroad.
You could also petition her in bankruptcy. Whether that would work depends on whether she minds being made bankrupt.
I realise you thought you were helping but try to avoid getting involved with a victim. When people say that they are being victimised they are fixing you with notice that they will make similar allegations against you. Normal people are not victims.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Jo, so can I sue her here, even if she's currently not in UK and whenever she comes back I can get the money ? or I don't have a base at all to sue her and this money will be considered as a gift ?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
You could have done that if you had not known that she had left.
Since you know that she has left, her last known address is not good service.
The money will only be considered a gift if there wasn't an arrangement to repay.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so in other words, there is nothing I can do ?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Not unless she returns to the UK or the domestic law of Egypt assists.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Jo
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile