How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 818
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

I am have made a really stupid mistake I am going to be accused

Customer Question

I am have made a really stupid mistake I am going to be accused of fraudulently claiming sick pay I was having worries at work before I did this and made a rash move and I panicked and I resigned from my job so it will look like theft aswell. Only 4 weeks SSP and I have no previous criminal record I will never do anything like this again. Will I go to prison? I am truly regretting what I have done I am have been totally convinced by my own lies for so long alot of people are going to be very disappointed by me. But my GP gave me another certificate that said just 4 weeks on it which means he knows too.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. In order to answer this I need more information.
What have you done? Have the police been informed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
More than likely I had a feeling I was going to be sacked but for what I don't know so I went on sick leave to disappear but my ex employer found out. I have previously received treatment for depression but now will be accused of faking. I have wrongly claimed sick pay of 306 pound and 106 SSP. The previous mental health institution doesn't want to talk to me anymore my GP's surgery is playing ignorant but they know and my work is playing along too. But it is only a matter of time before the police come for me
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I went to the GP and ever so slightly exaggerated my symptoms in order to get signed off
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had a massive fall out with a colleague prior to this event
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
ok, does your boss know you were ding this? If so how? Have you admitted it? Can they prove it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have had one interview where there was a witness recording what I said where I said I did go to the GP and exaggerated my symptoms but they were trying to get me to admit to faking. But this was done after I threatened to resign they suggested I went to the GP and came back to think it over. Who just gave me a 4 week certificate with no dates on it I changed my mind about resigning a few times but eventually decided to go. But they want written notice and when I go to deliver it they will have me arrested then I think. But yes I think they can prove it
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
It is far from certain that they can get you arrested. Even if called the police may have no interest in this. I doubt very much that the police will be waiting for you at your workplace.
How much money are we talking about?
If you are arrested then you simply MUST have a solicitor helping you. The duty solicitors are usually good, or you would be able to arrange a solicitor of your choice. All free of charge.
If you have a solicitor your chances of avoiding being charged will be greatly increased.
I take it you have left your employers why would they be bothered after you have gone?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's about 400 pound they will say I claimed through deception but I have been signed off 2 other times and in theory throw that at me plus the times I have gone through therapy which is 4 times and GP visits and drugs I have been given to treat me. I have previously seen . I am prepared to pay back every penny if it comes to it and I will make this very clear if I am arrested
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
It sounds to me as though there is at the very least some grey in this picture as opposed to black and white. Your position may well be defendable if it needs defending.
Do NOT start apologising, admitting guilt etc if the police are involved. The police may well view this as a civil dispute (whether sick pay needs to be paid or has been overpaid). I do not think they will be keen to get involved in this.
If they get involved get legal advice in the traditional face to face way.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have all of a sudden an appointment with the psychological service that has obviously banned me from using their service. As all my telephones cannot reach them the numbers are blocked. This is obviously a police trap
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
I am afraid I don't really understand your last post. Can you explain a little more please?
I really don't think the police would set a trap in thee circumstances.