How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I need to serve a Notice on a tenant who is

Customer Question

I need to serve a Notice for possession on a tenant who is in arrears. We only have a verbal agreement of 1620 per month which he has been paying but with gaps (hence the arrears). Normally he has a one year contract but somehow last year he never signed! And I didn't notice. If he had signed the period would expire by the 28th of February. What sort of notice do I give him and in what form? I imagine its two months but I may be wrong
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
Once the fixed-term tenancy expires the tenant automatically goes onto what is called a statutory periodic tenancy which is a rolling monthly tenancy by law. In order to evict the tenant you will need to serve them with a formal notice requiring possession and give them two months' notice to vacate. If they do not vacate in this time you will need to pursue possession proceedings - if you will be claiming rent arrears this will be the standard possession route. However, if you do not claim rent arrears you can pursue the accelerated route here:
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.