How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1431
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Type Your Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

Some years ago I made a will. this was done at the solicitors.

This answer was rated:

some years ago I made a will. this was done at the solicitors. things have changed since then. what do I need to do to cancel it?
Thank you for your question.
Firstly I would suggest that you completely and entirely destroy all copies of your last will. Also contact the Solicitor and tell them that you consider that will as revoked and ask them to note this.
If you make a new will you can include a revocation clause to specifically confirm that your previous wills are revoked.
Kind regards
Please kindly remember to rate positively so that we receive credit for our work
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, thanks.

do I need to go to a solicitor to draw up a new will or is it easy enough to do myself?

It's your choice.
I would say it's always best to use a Solicitor to make sure its correctly done - especially with wanting to revoke an earlier.
You could always consider instructing a solicitor during Will Aid Week - this will save you money as it's just a donation to charity.
Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

my affairs are very simple (assets meager). can you supply me with or point me in the direction of a useful template?

Also can i / do i need to register it somewhere to make it effective?


There are lots of templates I could point you too but I still owuld suggest that Will Aid might be a better option. If you agree and understand what I am saying then please respond and I will forward you a template.

Kind Regards


Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I googled will aid and found it was in November. I was looking to do something now


Will find you one now -

few minutes :-)


as requested - please see below

Kind Regards


Please kindly remember to rate positively



I revoke all my former Wills and Codicils and declare
this to be my last Will (‘my Will')


to be the Executors and Trustees of this my Will (hereinafter
called "my Trustees");

(b) The expression "my Trustees" shall where the context admits include such
person or

persons as shall become an
executor or trustee by virtue of this clause and the trustees or trustee for
the time being of this Will whether original additional or substituted

2 I
all of my

3 I GIVE all my property not hereby or by any Codicil hereto otherwise
effectively disposed of (including any entailed or other property over which I
shall have at my death a general power of disposition by Will) to my Trustees
upon trust as follows :-

My Trustees shall have power at their discretion to sell all or any of
such property when they think fit;

My Trustees shall pay my
funeral and testamentary expenses my debts and any legacies given by this Will
or any Codicil hereto and (except as otherwise provided by this Will or any
Codicil hereto) pay all taxes duties and other imposts payable on or by reason
of my death which are leviable in any part of the world in respect of my estate
(whether movable or immovable) passing under this Will or any Codicil hereto
out of the proceeds of any such sale and any ready money comprised in my estate;

Subject as aforesaid my
Trustees shall invest all such moneys in any of the investments hereby
authorised with power to change the investment thereof into any other investments
hereby authorised and shall hold such property and the assets from time to time
representing the same (hereinafter called "my Residuary Estate") and the income
thereof upon the trusts hereinafter declared

hold my Residuary Estate and the income thereof upon trust for such of

my children the said .......... as shall be living at my death and if more
than one in equal shares absolutely PROVIDED THAT should both of my children
predecease me leaving issue living at my death who
shall attain the age of 21 years then such issue shall take by substitution and
if more than one in equal shares absolutely per stirpes the half share of my
Residuary Estate which their parent would have taken had they survived me

5 Every
person who would otherwise benefit under my Will but who fails to survive me by
one calendar month shall be treated for the purposes of my Will as having died
in my lifetime

6 The
standard provisions of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (first
edition) shall apply

7 Section 11 of the Trusts of Land
and Appointment of Trustees Act 1996 shall not apply

IN WITNESS whereof I have
hereunto set my hand this day

SIGNED by the said )

as and for her
last Will and Testament in the )

presence of both
of us being present at the )

same time who at
her request in her presence )

and in the
presence of each other have )

subscribed our names as witnesses )

ukfamilysolicitor and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks very much for your help.

sorry for my delayed response I've had a busy few days :-)

Bless you! Thank you for your kind words