How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71050
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have had a letter from concentrix on my tax credits.For

This answer was rated:

Hi, I have had a letter from concentrix on my tax credits.For the last 2 years I have claimed as a single person, this 3rd year my partner moved in with me. It was not planned and I honestly didn't think to tell the HMRC - the other times I honestly claimed as single and was being truthly. When I renewed I just carried on and I didn't inform them when my partner moved in. Stupid but to be honest I genuinely didn't even think about telling them. I just thought I'd not be able to claim the following year. I've claimed around 2,200 this year. I phoned them and asked them to stop the claim so I don't owe any more money. I understand I will have to pay this money back but I am wondering if this will go to court?
Hello you say that there is a claim, have they actually issued a claim in court?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
How much does it involve?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Over this year it will be around £2100.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There isn't a claim in court. I've had a letter from concentrix investigating whether I have a partner or not as per above.
Is that the total sum of the overpayment ?
Or was some of it legitimate?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No that is the total sum of the overpayment. The other 2 years are completely correct I wrongly just renewed when my partner had moved in.
It is possible that they might just let you repay that.
Generally speaking, they will allow people to repay for sums of between £2k - £3k. That doesn't lead to a guarantee obviously but it is within the appropriate remit.
If you want to improve your chances then you should make arrangements to repay it as soon as possible and start doing so. That is always the best mitigation.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. As I am sending off the documents requested from Concentrix - bank statements, tenancy agreement etc, should I wait for the official ruling from them - that I am in a couple - or should I contact them now and say I'd like to start to make repayments straight away. Or would that be better to say in a letter along with the documents?
What does the letter say?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is the standard letter saying they believe there is an adult living with me here between the dates of 6th april to 0ctober 28th of this year. As this is correct - he moved in on October - I did call and say my partner did live here and asked them to stop the claim so that the over payments did not continue. They said to still supply the documents. But I thought it best to stop any future payments whilst they looked at the documents.
Ok. They know then.
You would have had to discontinue the claim anyway but the only option now would be to disclose to them and offer to repay.
Start making the repayments as early as possible even if it is a very low amount.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks for your help.
No problem.
All the best.
Please remember to rate my answer.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you