How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have asked my partner to leave my home several times but

Customer Question

I have asked my partner to leave my home several times but he treats it as one big joke, he doesn't accept that the relationship is over and acts like nothing is wrong. He came to live me and my children when he was unable to afford his rental property as he was unemployed, he placed his belongings in storage and I assumed he'd move out when he had employment, he didn't!
He has paid rent for the past 4 years and has worked on my home (he's a builder,) - he refuses to leave as he claims he doesn't want anyone to finish the work he''s started. I have put up with his behaviour as he's threatened to trash any work I get someone else in to do. He has threatened me with a carving knife, charged at me with an ironing board and has choked me, he refers to this as "a loving squeeze."
The mortgage is in my sole name, I pay all the bills relating to the property, he has no financial responsibility towards the house or my children. (I deal with 100% of my childrens need.)
He has completely taken over my garage and I can understand why he doesn't want to leave, rental property is expensive inn our area and it will consume a large chunk of his salary.
I simply want my life and my home back and him gone without the fear that he'll damage my property.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
Just a bit more information required:
-Are you married to him?
-Is the home in joint names or in your sole name
-Is there any deed of trust or formal agreement regarding his contributions to the property?
-Is he the father of the children?
-Have the police been contacted regarding the incident you mention?
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, this question remains open. Please could you provide the requested information so that I can assist you.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I have been a family lawyer for more than 30 years.I note that you are not married to your partner, is not the father of your children and the property belongs to you alone.This being the case you are entitled to give him "reasonable written notice" to leave the property and at the end of that period you can change the locks whilst he is out - and call the police if he does not leave."reasonable" is a difficult word - in general 28 days is the minimum - however if there is a further threatening incident call the police immediately The only concern I have is that he may have a financial claim on the property based on any work he has done which has enhanced the value of the property - however that still does not give him the right to live therePlease ask if you need further detailsClare