How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My partner and myself split up two years ago, Both our names

This answer was rated:

my partner and myself split up two years ago, Both our names are ***** ***** mortgage. I paid £100000 deposit on the property, my partner paid the mortgage for the seven years before he left, Since then I have been paying the mortgage by myself he refuses to contribute anything(even though we have two children) If we sell are we entitled to the same share ? My partner says he is entitled to 50% of the profit once the mortgage is paid and the £100000 returned to me { I had a Trust Deed drawn up to ensure I held onto this money in the event of us parting). My thought is that he should only be entitled to the profit up until he stopped paying the mortgage.
I would appreciate your professional advice.
Hi, thanks for your question.
Please confirm if you are married to him?
If you are not, then the proceeds will be in accordance to how the title is held and details of the deed of trust. So if it is 50-50 then he would be entitled to 50% of the proceeds after your entitlement as per the deed of trust. Contributions will only be taken into account to change the split of proceeds if this is recorded in the deed of trust/formal agreement. Contesting this through courts may be very expensive and you would need to weigh up the benefits of doing so.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Harris and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you