How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I'm about to be dismissed (so will probably resign) from a

This answer was rated:

I'm about to be dismissed (so will probably resign) from a company I'm a director and shareholder of. I know my shares will be subject to compulsory purchase. How do I ensure a fair valuation? And where do I stand in terms of money I still have in the company like expenses that haven't been paid yet? Hope someone can advise.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
For now please let me know whether there are company accounts?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes but as I'm suspended I don't have access to anything other than what's already lodged at Companies House. I don't tend to see the monthly accounts
You can ask for an accountant to value the company. Then your share is based on that valuation. You don't have to accept any lower valuation unless you have another formula set out in any directors agreement. A fair valuation and that is what the company and your share is worth.
As for outstanding payment you are entitled to these still if they are owing.
Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes please, do we need to agree on the accountant valuing the company or the method of valuation? The reason I'm asking is if it's the company's regular accountant the valuation of the company will be artificially low (I know from experience as I saw a similar situation with another of the boss's companies previously, he made sure the former shareholder ended up with a pitiful price)
You can jointly appoint an independent accountant who can provide a fair market valuation.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes thanks
Good luck
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If you don't rate then the site does not pay me for the time I have spent answering your question.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you