How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I took my Local Authority to the Small Claims Court because

This answer was rated:

I took my Local Authority to the Small Claims Court because they ignored five letters over five months and avoided answering twelve questions concerning a planning matter for which I had paid the appropriate fees. Council for the Local Authority, by her own admission, did not consult the personnel against whom my complaint was made and answered none of the questions posed by me during the hearing. The decision went against me and I have been attempting to get a transcript of the hearing and have been kept waiting more than a month for the Judge to release a copy of his judgement. I believe that I have lost the chance of an appeal due to the delay and intend to take the matter up with the Law Society. Is it legitament for the defence to ignore my questions and can Defence Council legitamently represent their client without any consultation.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you,
Have you lodged the application to appeal before the transcript was approved please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. I needed the Judgement to decide whether to appeal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not understand why the Judge has to approve the transcript of his judgment, and wonder whether he has the power to make amendments that are not checked against the recording?
Ok. Well you can appeal out of time, given the circumstances. You usually have 21 days from date of judgment to appeal. The defence can ignore questions unless you put them as an official part 18 request. Then if it's ignored you can apply to court to make them answer it.
The council can represent their client department if and only if it's funded by them, Ie social services for example. But you can still appeal out of time.
Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you,for your response.
Happy to help. To be clear a transcript is always checked by a judge.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your response. Can the judge make any changes to the transcript of his judgement without checking back to the recording. I cannot understand why he has to approve the transcript and has taken so long to deal with this matter.
Yes the judge can although it's rare. You will not get the recording.