How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50161
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I had an agreement with my partner. He is taking the driving

This answer was rated:

I had an agreement with my partner. He is taking the driving instructed exams, I bought a car, in his name, with the understanding that he would pay me back from his earnings. He has left, taking the car. Where do I stand.
Hello do you have any evidence of your agreement?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, just a verbal agreement between partners. I have proof I paid for the car.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How much are you owed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Plus I paid for the driving instructors tuition. £3,000
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But I paid that into his bank, so that's the only proof I have for that.
OK but can you please clarify - was it your intention to gift him the car if he paid yo back for the driving instruction?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, it was always to be a joint car
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He was going to pay back into the savings because he would then be earning, as up to he qualified, I was paying all the household bills.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
And no, I never asked to be paid back for the driving instruction
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That was for the both if usin the long run
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But he said he'd pay back the car, because if how much it was, and that I had taken it out if my savings, which I had worked hard for.
Do you know where he is, are you able to write to him?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, he went back to his mothers
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He is not answering anything.
OK this is basically a dispute over money owed by one party to another, in which case the debtor can be pursued through the civil courts for recovery of the debt. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps: 1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the debtor to voluntarily pay what is due. 2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the debtor must be sent a formal letter asking them to repay the debt, or at least make arrangements for its repayment, within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to recover the debt. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action. 3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the debtor and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this. Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you