How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49806
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

There, sorry so late/early in the morning but

This answer was rated:

hi there, sorry for asking so late/early in the morning but I just need some guidance. I'm planning on flying to the US later this year, I've a feeling I'd need to apply for a visa but my biggest worry is would I be able to be given one as I was detained by the police but the case was deserted
Hello can you please provide some more details of what happened?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ben, I did something very stupid which is now in the past, was detained by the police, waited for a court appearance and the case was eventually deserted due to the time period. My biggest worry is that I won't be able to enter US soil
When did this incident occur?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi Ben, it all happened about 2010 I'd say, the case got deserted about 2012
When you wish to visit the US, there are two ways to gain entry - one is through the Visa Waiver Programme, which means you can travel visa-free, the other is to obtain a visa for entry. If you were ever arrested then you become ineligible to travel visa-free so would have to apply for a visitor's visa. You would be required to attend the Embassy for a short Riverview to establish your suitability for travel. In the circumstances, you do not really have anything to worry about. Yes, you may have been arrested, but you were never convicted of an offence so as far as the law is concerned you are an innocent man. People with formal convictions still manage to get a visa and enter the US and you with no formal conviction against your name should have no issues in obtaining a visa to travel. So I suggest you start the process sooner rather than later sp that you get your visa and have peace of mind that you would be eligible to travel. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so, I'm better applying for a visa just in case but I could also possibly apply for a visa waiver?
You cannot apply for a visa waiver because you have been arrested so you will have to get a visa either way, but you should get on it soon to ensure you do get it in good time and have plenty of time to not worry about it and plan the rest of your trip. Hope this clarifies?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it does Ben, thank you so much for your help & advice! I'll try and make an appointment at the embassy in London as soon as I can, I should just explain what happened and hope for the best
You are welcome, hope it works out. If your original question has been answered I would be grateful if you could please quickly rate my answer by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page - it only takes a second to do and is an important part of our process. I can still answer follow up questions afterwards if needed. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you