How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I am applying passport as my previous one was lost in

Customer Question

I am applying for a passport as my previous one was lost in 1997. I am wanting to holiday abroad for the first time since then but the Post Office said they needed a copy of my Decree Absolute when I divorced my first husband in 1998. I no longer have this as I have lost it somewhere along the line of moving house some time ago. What do I need to do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
You should apply for a copy of the decree absolute in that case.
The process is set out below:
Write to the court where the divorce, dissolution or annulment took place to get a copy of a decree absolute or final order.
Find the address for the court using the court finder.
If you know the case number, a copy of a decree absolute or final order costs £10. If you don’t know the case number, the cost is £45.
Send a cheque or postal order payable to ‘HM Courts & Tribunals Service’.
If you don’t know which court to ask
You can ask the Central Family Court to search for the decree absolute or final order. This will cost £65.
Fill in the form at the back of the leaflet request for search for decree absolute, and return it to the address below with the fee.
Central Family Court
First Avenue House
42 - 49 High Holborn
If you’re paying by cheque, make it payable to ‘HM Courts & Tribunals Service’.
The above appears here
Hope this helps