How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

My relationship with my 45 year old son has deteriorated to

This answer was rated:

My relationship with my 45 year old son has deteriorated to the point where recently he physically and verbally assaulted me.
For me this was the final straw and I therefore wish to legally disown him.
Is this possible and if so how do I proceed
Yes it is possible. You simply ignore your son and have no dealings with him in the same way you treat a stranger. You may also report him to the police for physically assaulting you.
You should then also make a Will explaining that you do not have any feelings left for your son, how he has assaulted you, that he is not financially dependant on you and that you are disinheriting him for this reason. He may contest your Will after you pass away and then it would be up to the courts to decide whether or not he should get anything out of your estate under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975.
Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you