How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3844
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

I have a maisonette & the flat above me leaked water through

Customer Question

I have a maisonette & the flat above me leaked water through my bathroom ceiling damaging the artex, floor and the wall. This happened a year ago, the owners keep saying they will do the repair, but up to now have just kept playing for time. they have no intention of correcting the damage they have created me.
where do I go from here to get positive action.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. As they have incurred the damage you are entitled to claim your losses to the extent you can prove them. If they are refusing to do the work you have to put them on notice and say that if they do not commence the repairs within a reasonable period of time you will do the repairs yourself and sue them for the cost of doing so. Have you had any one round to quote roughly for the cost? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My builder is coming tonight to view and quote
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thank you. I think once you know what the repairs will cost then it makes it easier to demand payment from the neighbour. Your will then have quantified your losses and you can use this as a basis for a court claim. Once you have the quote, write to the neighbour and say - sort the repairs out or you will, based on the quote provided, sue them for the cost. - if you do have to do the works yourself you can start a court claim here. To be honest with you they are much more likely to start doing the work if you get a solicitor to write a letter enclosing a quote. At the moment they are ignoring you because they think can, seeing a letter from solicitor will give your demand much more gravitas that you should be taken seriously and will sue if you have to. Any local solicitor with county court experience will do. Can you let me know how much the quote is?