How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10974
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

Intestacy problem are you able to advise? The estate is

This answer was rated:

intestacy problem are you able to advise?
The estate is being divided between cousins of the deceased. My wife's father was also a cousin (his brother and sister are 2 of the people getting a share of the estate) but he is dead (before the deceased). Should my wife and her brother qualify for his share?
1. So long as the deceased died in England & Wales, then the rule is that the share of a deceased person is inherited by their successors. This means that your wife's father's share would be inherited by your wife and her brother and any other sibling there might be in their family. The confusion which arises here might be due to the fact that the rule is different in different parts of the UK and Ireland. However, your research online is correct and your wife would qualify in the right of her father along with her brother.
2. Please Rate the Answer, Richard, as unless you Rate the Answer your Expert does not get paid for answering your Question.
Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you