How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10972
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

This is my query. My husband and I own a second property

This answer was rated:

This is my query.
My husband and I own a second property in the uk. It is in joint names. Here is a hypothetical question.
If he or i became unable to administer our affairs could the other spouse sell the jointly owned property ( taking into account there is no power of attorney in place)
Thank you,
1. Dear *****, in England & Wales, property is held in law by way of a trust for sale. This is the situation with all properties, including jointly owned properties. This means that one co-owner can arrange for the sale of jointly owned property to realise their interest, even if the other co-owner is unable to administer their affairs. Accordingly, in your hypothetical example if you or your husband became unable to administer your affairs, the other spouse could still sell the jointly owned property. However, the problem would arise that half the sale proceeds would then have to be held in trust for the person without legal capacity. They would not be able to be dealt with until a Deputy was appointed by the court of Protection. So whilst a sale could take place half the sale proceeds could not be dealt with, after the sale.
Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What if we had power of attorney for one another
2. Only a Lasting or an Enduring Power of Attorney is operable to cure any defect in legal capacity after someone gets dementia, for example. A normal power of attorney is not effective. Accordingly, if an Enduring or Lasting Power of Attorney existed, then it would solve the problem as then the person holding the power of attorney could act in the name of the other spouse.