How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50161
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

In December 2014 I signed a three year contract with a waste

This answer was rated:

In December 2014 I signed a three year contract with a waste disposal firm,collecting waste from a sandwich bar I operated.However when my lease was due to be renewed was told by the owner that he was selling the premises.Theshop was sold in October 2015. Now the waste Company want to charge me the balance owed on the remainder of my contract, totalling £600.No collections are being made since end of October. Do I have any legal recourse?
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Have you refused to pay so far or are they still taking money from you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
At present have refused to pay any monies.
The starting point is that you would have signed a legal agreement for a fixed term and as such you would be bound by it. Unless there was a cancellation clause allowing for early termination, you could be held liable for the full term. It is entirely legal to have a fixed term contract and to be bound by the full term, even if you can no longer continue using the services you had agreed to. The fact that they are not undertaking the services does not mean that they cannot charge for them because from their point of view they have suffered losses from a breach of contract on your part, even if it was not your direct fault. As you have refused to pay any more money, the ball is now in their court. They could consider taking it further although they may be put off as the amount pursued is not that high and they would have to spend time and money taking it to court. If they did take it to court it will only go in the small claims court, which is a relatively risk free method. Even if you lose, you will not be required to pay their legal fees as each side bears its own legal costs. So you could be asked to pay the full amount at worst, with a little bit of interest but it would not be much different than what you would have o pay now. At least then you would also know that a court has ruled in their favour and you were in the wrong. However, you could just wait and see how far they take this. As mentioned they may just threaten you but never make a claim so you can play it by ear and evaluate your position as time goes by, depending on their next move. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Ben Jones and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, having re-read your reply, you have answered my enquiry . I therefore don not need a phone call at this point.Many thanks for your adviceDenise Houghton
You are welcome, all the best