How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am a chairman of an Executive committee of a local Society(Consistin

This answer was rated:

i am a chairman of an Executive committee of a local Society(Consisting of approx 20 Clubs) which is a voluntary organisation and also holds charity status. We have a sub committee which handles various training aspects of our Society and their Chairman should sit on the Executive Committee. Our meetings are on a Saturday morning which suits all of the Committee except this Sub sommittee Chairman who works on a Saturday. They hold their own funds and are self funding. However if they get into financial difficulties the main Executive Committee will contribute to their funds to help them out with training expenses.
A year ago our Society membership worked very hard to raise funds for a special event and with careful management had monies left over. It was decided to set this money aside for forthcoming special projects.
Our Sub committee chairman has asked for a meaningful contribution towards their funds for training from these monies although they have a reasonable sum in their oun account at present The Executive committee have not been advised exactly what the extra money would be needed for other than training.
I was invited to sttend the sub committee meeting and was subjected to 2 hours of what I would describe as verbal abuse from the chairman who had at least 7 A4 pages of script prepared. He quoted all "you said -they said " type of argument and described derogatory past history of our Society- all very unpleasant. It could be described as a scene from a court of law as he was putting his questions to me as if he was a Barrister handling a case. He did have at least 2 others backing him but the rest of the sub committee were horrified.
I felt he was demanding and bullying and was not prepared to accept he should try to come to an Executive meeting and put forward a plan for monies requested and how much would be involved. He is now ringing me and texting me demanding answers and does not seem to understand that any decisions are made by a committee not me.
I would be grateful for advice on best way to deal with this situation.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Have you contacted the Police regarding this harassment at all please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no I have not approached the Police on this issue as I did not want to discredit our Society. Is there any way of handling this without involving Police?
If you dont want to go to the Police the only other way would be to get a Solicitor to write a letter and ask them to stop or say you will go to Court.
If they refuse then you can get a civil injunction preventing contact. But in reality if they wont stop its either Police, get a Solicitor to warn and then a civil injunction at Court.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
would it be wise of me not to have any verbal or written contact with this person and any contact or reply he requests be carried out through the Society Secretary.
Yes any order would say no contract or indirect save through communications though the Society Secretary or via a Solicitor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can this person be asked to stand down as Chairman of our Sub- committee because of his unprofessional behaviour although we have nothing written into our constition of our Society to deal with this sort of thing.
If its against your rules then yes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
unfortunately we do not have anything written into our constitution (rules)to cover this so it looks as if we cannot remove him. Can we write to him (via the Society Secretary)and tell him his behaviour at the Committee meeting I attended was considered to bullying and harassment
Yes you can do that.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
can I actually use the actual words Bullying and harassment
You can if it amounts to that yes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you Alex for your help
Good luck
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen.  Please do not forget!  Thank you.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you