How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I recently vacated a rented property, I informed the landlord

Customer Question

I recently vacated a rented property, I informed the landlord that i could not remove all my belongings from an external car-port on the leaving date, he was fine with this and informed me that i could keep the items in there until the 29/01/16 which is the date I could collect them. The property was sold and completed on the 28/01/16 (a day earlier than expected). The new owners were informed about my belongings and were wrongfully told I would collect them on the 28/01/16 initially, later they were informed that it would not be until the 29/01/16 however, between this communication they dumped my belongings in a waste facility, I did not find out about this until I went to collect the items on the afternoon of the 29/01/16. My old landlord is annoyed about this but is not taking any responsibility, the estate agents involved are not helping me in any way, do I have a case to pursue the new owners? when I asked them about my property they simply said it's our house now.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
What was the value please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Approx £2500
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not to hand right now, but i do have email, text and photos to back all this up.
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
You dont have a claim against the new owner but you do against your old Landlord.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at:  or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for the reply, I know the estate agents are not legally trained but they informed me that if they landlord had rented the property out again then they would be liable, but as they sold the property and were no longer legally responsible for the property they cannot be accountable for my property. can you please clarify this as i do not want to incur expenses going after my landlord if this is the case.
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Its a matter between the old Landlord and you, nothing to do with the new owners.
Does that clarify?