How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My partner and I are separating on good terms and need to divide up some property. Bot

Customer Question

Hi. My partner and I are separating on good terms and need to divide up some property. Both properties are in my name as this was easier and cheaper for mortgages. We both lived in property 2 from April 2009 to January 2016 and this will stay in my name and I will continue to pay the mortgage. I have now moved out temporarily and I'm renting a place.
property 1 is what I want to sign over to my partner. Again, it is in my name and is effectively paid off with only £1 remaining to pay to my provider. Where do I start with this transaction?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
Are you married to your partner?
If you wish to sign over property to your partner it will be a change of ownership and you will need to follow these steps:
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No we are not married. We've been together fir approx 15 years.
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for confirming, I was enquiring as being married may have impacted your rights regarding the assets and finances.
In the circumstances you can proceed as stated above, namely
It maybe worthwhile considering instructing a solicitor to deal with the transfer which will cost a few hundred pounds and ensure it is all done correctly.
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.