How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

Is there the equivalent of a divorce from one's family ? I

Customer Question

Is there the equivalent of a divorce from one's family ?
I am named as a benficiary in my mother's will. But relationships are very poor between me and her and my brother. I feel it may be best to sever contact with them.
In doing so, I would like to seek a financial settlement in which I was removed as a named beneficiary of the will but was compensated for this by negotiating a sum of money to be paid to me now.
Is this something that a solicitor could help me with ? I would estimate the value of my mother's estate to be around £750,00 - £1million
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have to go out now for about an hour. I will look to see if you have answered when I return
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
No, there is no such thing as a divorce from your family, nor can you seek a financial settlement from your mother. Her estate is hers to do with as she pleases and to bequeath as she pleases on her death. Her will is of no effect until then.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I paid over £50 for three sentences ? I was supposed to get a High Detail answer. I cannot rate that highly I'm afraid. Try this , what if a member of a family is known to be at risk of suicide is deliberately put under stress and pressure by the actions of another family member. This is trying to push someone over the edge surely, could it be viewed as attempted murder ?
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Had the answer to your question been yes, then of course there would have been further detail to give you. But there was no legal merit in your question. As you are reluctant to accept my answer I am opting out.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am waiting to see if this is anything other than an internet scam, it has every hallmark of being one. I was charged £56 for a detailed answer . I got three sentences. Only a scam would operate like that.A reputable organisation would refund me if it was unable to provide what I had paid for.
A scamming exercise would not offer a refund, it would act exactly as you re now doing . Stalling, contradicting itself. While you tell me that no lawyers are available pop-ups appear offering to "chat" for £38, I don't want to spend more money for which I receive nothing, I want a refund of my original payment.
So then, let's see what happens. While you're thinking about it I'll reserarch the most appropriate in which to report this site and hopefully get it closed down. If indeed there are any lawyers there at all they will know that obtaining money by deception is a criminal offencw
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ActionFraud seems like its a good one to start off with. Contacting them now
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Our terms and conditions clearly state we offer a refund if not satisfied.
I just wanted to check if you wanted to try another Expert. Since you don't, I'll process the refund for you now.
Thank you,