How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 818
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

I have just found out that my dad gets council tax support

This answer was rated:

I have just found out that my dad gets council tax support because he has just received a letter from our council asking for bank details going back to 2012. He said that he didn't know that he got it and I believe him because he throws all his letters on the fire. Since his wife died 4 years ago he hasn't really coped. He is 74 by the way and has never had to deal with paying bills or sorting things out. I am his daughter and also his carer because he cant walk anymore. I told him that this is really serious but he just said that he would pay what he owed. He has the money to pay it and always has. If I go to the council and tell them will they automatically take him to court or will they just let him pay it. This hasn't been done purposely he just didn't know. I want to sort it out but daren't tell them in case it still goes to court. It would kill him.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
Have you seen the letter that was sent by the local authority to your father about this?
If we are talking about 3 years council tax benefit then the amount is likely to be in the range £3,000-6,000. A prosecution would be unlikely at this level and in the circumstances you describe. It would clearly not be in the public interest to prosecute. It is also odd that he has continued to get this benefit without filing in forms for the last few years, perhaps this is a council error and he is the unwitting beneficiary of an error by the council.
LondonlawyerJ and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes I have seen the letter. they want evidence of bank details and all income and investments going back to 2012 but my dad has always had money invested. He doesn't know why he has got council tax support. If I go to the council and say that he is willing to pay all he owes will they still go through the courts.