How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49868
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Am I entitled to a refund of postage costs of faulty goods

This answer was rated:

Am I entitled to a refund of postage costs of faulty goods returned within the 30 day period?
Hello, what did their terms and conditions state?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They say I am governed by the distance selling regs
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can find nothing in their terms and conditions re postage on faulty goods
When did you make the purchase?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you
The purchase will be governed by the Consumer Contracts Regulations, which replaced the Distance Selling Regulations, as well as the Consumer Rights Act 2015.
You have the right to return goods within the first 30 days unconditionally but if they are faulty then that can be extended for up to 6 months. The costs of returning the goods is the retailer’s responsibility, unless the terms and conditions stated otherwise. However, if the goods were faulty then it is the seller’s responsibility to meet the return postage costs. So if the retailer is refusing to meet the postage costs for the return you could pursue them further. If you have returned the item and paid for the return costs then you can get these costs back. If you have not yet returned the item but they are refusing to accept it unless you pay the return postage, then you can pursue them for the costs of the item, i.e. a refund of the total price paid.
This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the steps you need to take to take this further, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Your reply just confirmed what I had researched and discovered for myself online. Thank you for the clarity of your reply
You are welcome. If you want to take this further, then whenever a dispute arises over money owed by one party to another, the debtor can be pursued through the civil courts for recovery of the debt. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps:
1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the debtor to voluntarily pay what is due.
2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the debtor must be sent a formal letter asking them to repay the debt, or at least make arrangements for its repayment, within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to recover the debt. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.
3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the debtor and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this.
Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far.