How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71050
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My son has an American driving licence. He came back into the

Customer Question

My son has an American driving licence. He came back into the UK last August. He has an old provisional licence that expired while his time in America.
The dvla and gov. UK say he can drive for 12 months from entering back into the country.
The police impounded his car and has said he cannot drive his car. Please advise
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Did he get any proof from the DVLA to say that he was allowed to drive his car?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We have spoken to Dvla, they said all his paperwork and insurance is all ok to drive.
I have asked online @, answered the questions, it gave an automated answer he is entitled him to.
Grimsby police have dismissed this twice, point blankly saying he can't.
Please advise
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Hello did you print off thepaperwork from Gov.Uk, and are the DVLA willing to help
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dvla has asked the police to contact them, they refuse point blank.
I can print paperwork if that helps
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The DVLA has advised, that it is clear on the website that he can drive? But are unwilling to send an email to confirm this.
It would need a letter from a solicitor or yourself to confirm this. Is that something you could do?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, have I misunderstood? He doesn't have a full USA licence?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes a full USA licence.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
When did he enter the UK?
Or more specifically how long has he been resident here?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
I thought you said his licence was provisional?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Good morning.
He's lived in the uk for say 17yrs went to the states for 1 year on a working visa.
Came back last July.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He applied for a provisional UK licence before he went to the states, that expired while he was living/ working there
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
So when did he get a full licence in the states?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm sure it was April 2015
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Are you certain the provisional did expire?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes provisional did expire,
But dvla has categorically said that 12 months from when he entered back into the uk he can drive, then he would have to apply for another provisional. He has his theory already
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, that is right.
If the original provisional expired then he can drive on his full USA licence for 12 months after the date of residence.
However, if he applied for a UK provisional at any time during that 12 months then that provisional licence would take priority and he would be unable to drive.
It was always open to him to apply for an exchange anyway from his USA licence as they are a competent authority.
I am not quite sure why they would want him to do his theory test unless they are saying the original provisional did not expire or they are saying his USA licence is inadequate.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jo.
Thankyou for your help, is it possible to send a draft letter to confirm this at all please.***@******.***
His name is*****
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
I think you will be emailed a copy automatically.
If not I'm sure customer services can do that for you on***@******.***