How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71132
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Is it illegal to post a video of someone committing a crime

This answer was rated:

Is it illegal to post a video of someone committing a crime online?
I'm guessing with all the laws these days, despite the person committing the crime doing something illegal, human rights and privacy play a major part and could be considered harassment of some kind?
What if the face's were blurred?
The said person has been been sent to court on a GBH case but I'd prefer to show the community the danger this person is capable of.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would assume the voice/sound would have to be muted also as to not give the identity of the person away 100%
How did you come by this footage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was recorded in property with general CCTV.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The attack happened when he was inside my property.
Why is that on cctv?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I run a business from home so have extremely valuable equipment in the property. (Thousands of pounds worth of computers)
In principle, that would not offend then.It is your CCTV and you can do with it as you wish. The only issue here is whether it offends against the DPA as you do not seem to be keeping CCTV for private purposes but to protect business assets.I do not think this would get over the hurdle of harassment though and there is certainly not an HRA issue.It would probably be better to hand the footage to the police though. It might assist them to do something useful instead of investigate false complaints against dead people.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you