How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I am divorced. I visited the formal marital home Sat morning

This answer was rated:

I am divorced. I visited the formal marital home Sat morning to speak with my ex husband as our daughter had unfortunately had a car accident earlier in the week, My ex husband, her Father, opened the door to me which is a small glass porch, I stepped in he accussed me of trespass and proceeded to shout expletives at me and pushed and shoved me with an intent I believe to stop me from entering his home. Where do I stand legally with this assault. Eventually he calmed and I did enter the home and sit in the lounge where he continued to verbally insult me. My sole purpose of the visit was to update him regarding the accident as he had been away on holiday when it happened.
Thank you
Hi, thanks for your question. Was there a financial settlement as part of the divorce, and is the former matrimonial home in his sole name or joint names? Aside from the divorce him pushing you is a criminal offence and the police can arrest him for assault - it is illegal and unnessary for him to do that to you. If you think that his intimidation and abuse will continue, you can apply to your local family court for a non-molestation order to prevent this - a breach of a non-molestation order is also a criminal offence, although you will need to consider whether this is necessary.
Harris and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you