How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50209
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Can I claim pay although I left Birmingham city council

This answer was rated:

Can I claim for equal pay although I left Birmingham city council in December 2oo2 after working for 18 years
Hello is there any reason you did not claim after leaving or whilst working for them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did not know I could claim until recently
Thank you. Regardless of whether you knew that you could make a claim or not, there are legal time limits in place within which a claim must be made. For equal pay claims a claim must be made either during the employment within which the claim has arisen, or if it has ended, within 6 months after such employment has terminated. If you were incapacitated (i.e. having a mental illness for example, which meant you do not have legal capacity) and could not make a claim within the 6 months after termination, an extension could be granted which runs for 6 months after the incapacity has ended. So if your employment ended in 2002, you would have had to make a claim within 6 months after the termination of your employment, unless you can show that you have lacked legal capacity for the 14 years since your employment ended. I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.
Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you all the best
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you