How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1370
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Type Your Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

Madam, I am a single father that is currantly paying

This answer was rated:

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am a single father that is currantly paying my ex partner ( I was never married to her ) £300 per week for my little girls child support. I used to pay her £120 per week but my ex partner couldn't make that work, I increased the amount to £300 but now I find myself not being able to continue paying that amount because of my own out goings ie rent, Utilities etc, I'm just struggling to keep that up. What I need to know is can I reduce the amount I give my ex legally.
I had a look at the CSA website calculator and it suggested a fair amount I should be paying is £159 per week. My ex lives with her mother in a five storey house in Notting hill west London that has no mortgage left to pay but my ex insists that the £300 I give her is to go towards paying her rent which I don't think is my problem plus I don't think her mother charges her rent. I of course don't mind providing for my daughter but can't afford £300 anymore.
I look forward to your reply.
Many thanks Neil Murrum
Hello Neil Welcome to Just Answer I am a Solicitor and will assist you. Please may I ask:- - how old is your little girl?- has there been any previous court orders in respect of child maintenance? Kind Regards Caroline
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Caroline,Thank you for your fast response.
Sorry I forgot to include my daughters age, she is just 2 and will be 3 in May.
No u haven't had any court dealings for anything regarding the split up with my ex.
I'm asking my question for two reasons,
1, is because I genuinely cannot afford that much anymore.
2, because I believe my ex is just trying it on as she keeps asking for more and more money for things like nursery fees. Plus she expects me to buy all the clothing for my baby on top of the support I already provide.
Many thanks Neil.
Hello Thank you for clarifying that for me. It is the Child Maintenance Service that has Jurisdiction in respect of Child Maintenance. I note that you have already used the CMS calculator - which showed that your expected payments would be significantly lower. There is nothing to stop you making a referral to the CMS yourself and paying the level that they have stated. You should tell your ex - that this is the amount that should be paid - if your ex will not agree - the refer your case to the CMS. I must also make you aware that it is possible for your ex to a Section 1 Children Act for provision for your child. This type of claim is normally made when there is a need for the child that needs to be met. I note the position that the mother is actually living rent free - if this is the position - then the childs housing needs appear to be being met securely and therefore the mother is unlikely to succeed with such a case given the current circumstances. Please do not hesitate to ask if I can clarify anything for you. Kind Regards Caroline Please kindly remember to star rate my service so that I receive credit for helping you today
ukfamilysolicitor and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Caroline thank you so much for your help.
I will call CSA immediately.
Thanks Neil.
Your welcome Neil Kind Regards Caroline