How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am in a joint tenancy with my husband in a council house.

Customer Question

I am in a joint tenancy with my husband in a council house. He has received a letter from the housing benefit department of the council. This letter reads "As your partner will be turning 65 please supply evidence of any private pensions or annuities she may then receive." I haven't received a letter on the same subject. This seems wrong to me, and I am angry, but is it illegal?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.Its not illegal no. As long as they are not discriminating on the grounds of sex, religion, race, colour, age etc they are ok.They just appear to be asking for more information nothing else. The Housing Department are entitled to ask for copy documents in the event there is a change in circumstances which could mean entitlement to benefit changesBut the request does not appear to be illegal.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: