How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71271
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My husband , who I am divorcing has accessed my personal texts

This answer was rated:

My husband , who I am divorcing has accessed my personal texts ( on a phone that was his and given to me as a gift ) . He will use the information to manipulate me emotionally and financially I suspect . Is he allowed to share that personal information with others ?
How did he come by your phone?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He did not, he asked O2 for the information as the bill payer
Is there any form of litigation between you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have filed for divorce but we have no Date for decri Nisi yet
Do the texts contradict anything you have said in court?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They are just highly personal and will be used to manipulate me- or he will reveal the contents to others
I would be quite surprised if he has been able to get this information without a court order. They do not usually provide verbatim messages just for the asking even from the bill payer.However, he is the bill payer and therefore can do as wishes with the inforamtion. It will only be admitted if it is probative.There would be DPA issues if he were not the bill payer but he is so it doesn't arise.Sorry but that is the reality I'm afraid.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What does " it will only be admitted if it were probative " mean ?
If it has relevance. Goes to a point in the case. It may do. It may not.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you