How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71042
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have to attend on court offence. I was

Customer Question

I have to attend on court for speeding offence. I was doing 73 in a 40 zone. I have no points or any offences before. What can I expect? Also someone told me I should have a legal aid with me . Is that the case?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
How long have you been driving?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Since I'm 18. Now I'm 35
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No offences at all. Full clean license
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
If this is a 73 mph in a 40 mph zone then the guidelines say that it should attract between 6 points and a ban of between 7 - 56 days. Your speed is at the higher end of the bracket but I would still expect 6 points unless there is some other aggravating feature. You will also be fined between 75-125% of your weekly income, asked to pay costs of £85 and the victim surcharge of roughly 1-% of the fine. You won't get legal aid for a matter of speeding but actually a barrister under public access to mitigate is cheap enough. You would probably get a pupil for roughly £150-£250 plus VAT. Can I clarify anything for you? Jo
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So. Is there no chance to walk away with only points and money penalty?
Is it ok to attend alone? Or I should not do that.? I'm working as area manager so driving essential. Is that count?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry. 72 not 73
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, you can attend alone.As I said above, it probably will be 6 points and a fine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does it help to get a letter from my employer that I'm essential in the company and what has happened was out of character!?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Thanks. Should I straight plead guilty and offer to do awareness course? Will it help?
Do I have to explain myself why I was speeding or just leave it?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
They won't give you an awareness course for this speed. It is better to plead early although they will summons you to court for consideration of a ban. Exceptoinal hardship can't be a defence so it doesn't matter what the impact will be upon you. But a statement saying it is out of character would be helpful.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
And a character reference generally.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does it matter I have clean license.
Just confused. I will walk in alone . Give the letter from my employer?
What will happen? Will they ask me to explain myself or just ask me if I'm guilty or not?
What will make them decide to give me a driving ban or not?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So from your experience please tell me how you feel about this case.
Let's pretend I walk in alone.(never done it before)
How will I walk out? With what penalty. Six points plus money penalty? 7 days ban?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
They will ask if you are guilty or not.But then they will ask if there is anything you want to say about the offence.