How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am the Director of my company that operates a public house

This answer was rated:

I am the Director of my company that operates a public house and I am the licence holder. I have received a letter from a solicitor claiming that one of my staff refused to serve a group of men because they were travellers(gypsy). They are claiming under the equality act 2010 saying they were caused serious and public injury to feelings and embarrisment . I have public liability insurance but my insurance company will not accept this incident is covered as part of that and this is a civil case.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.For now please let me know whether your insurance does cover civil disputes? Can you confirm whether the allegations are correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi The policy does not mention civil or otherwise. Most claims under public liability would go to the civil courts unless they are criminal. The bar member concered has said she did not say that

Ok, you should ask your insurance company on what basis they are saying civil claims are not covered. You may need to check the policy wording. If they still reject it then you may need to make a formal complaint which will be investigated.Once that process has happened and if its not in your favour, then and only then can you go to the Ombudsman. THey offer a free, independent service and can examine your complaint for free at: I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you