How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have a problem with the HM Passport Office, who took money

This answer was rated:

I have a problem with the HM Passport Office, who took money from my credit card, while the reason for my not competing my application was their inability/refusal to deal with some peculiarities of my case. I am living outside the UK but I have been a British citizen since birth, and am of purely British decent. Who should I apply to?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.For now please let me know whether you have called them, rather than email please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I sent them two e-mails (the replies are saved on my computer), while my daughter who lives in Britain called them to explain, but with no result. They just repeated the same bureaucratic demands that caused the original problem. On seeing my credit card billed, I wrote and received a ridiculous reply today.
are you prepared to go to court if necessary?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am afraid not. The sum is only just over 100 pounds, and is not worth such trouble and cost. It is purely as a matter of principle that I have arrived at this point now. Purely to see if anything can possibly be done.
in reality without it costing more than £100 I am afraid not.nif you get a solicitor to act on your behalf to chase it up, that would be in excess of the passport cost.Ordinarily you could get your MP involved but as you live abroad this is not realistic. But that would have been a free option.Even if you try and go to court just to issue the claim would cost £280. Sadly all you can do is call them, write to them and just annoy them until they are bored of you calling.Your only other option would have been to try an Ombudsman but sadly there is not one for HMPO. So without actually living here your options are somewhat limited.I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?Alex
Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think your answer is clear enough. The fact that there is no Ombudsman for these cases is a pity, as my first thought was to try and get hold of one. Indeed I have no MP, as I have been living in Greece since graduating from University in 1969. So, as you mention, my only resort is to annoy them until they are bored. But would anything come of it?These problems never came up, as until 2009 at least, my passports were issued through the Embassy in Athens. The transfer of this right from the Embassy means that the bureaucracy in Britain is not really interested in solving people's cases; just in getting money by any means. I consider myself cheated, and of course you do not know the reasons for my problem (it's a little complicated).Anyway, I would like to thank you for your interest and advice; the fact that nothing can be done is of course not your fault.
With gratitude and respect,
***** *****e