How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49850
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

The cost of an online money claim of £5435 is £410 whereas

This answer was rated:

the cost of an online money claim of £5435 is £410 whereas claims upto £5000 are only £185. Even though the full value of my claim is over £5000 can I still claim £5000 to reduce the cost / risk?
Hello what exactly is the claim for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

breach of contact resulting in loss of income of £5435 (after seeking to mitigate loses).

in brief the contact was for all the rooms / 5 rooms in our B&B for the company's employees. This was subject to a minimum period of 6 months at a rate of £1500 per week. They terminated the agreement after 3 months.

also what is the highest level of interest I can reasonably claim?

You can claim whatever amount you want. You do not have to claim for the full amount you have lost and if you wanted to you could claim for a lesser amount (of course you cannot claim for a higher amount). So if you wanted to reduce the court fees you could reduce the claim amount. You will obviously have to write off the balance of the claim which you have not included, knowing that even if you win you would not be able to claim for it. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, I've decided just to go for the full amount. I am now completing the section on the online claim that asks for - A short statement (maximum 1080 characters) of what you are claiming for and why.

would you please review my statement and advise?

We operate a small B&B, Colthrop Manor Ltd
(the claimant). In June 2015 we were
approached by and subsequently negotiated a
contract with TSO / Traffic Safety Officer
Services Ltd (the defendant). Under the
terms of the agreement TSO were to have all
the rooms in the B&B (5 rooms) on an ongoing
basis at a discounted rate of £1500 per week.
In negotiations the defendant stated that
they needed the accommodation on a long term
basis as they had a 5 year contact to service
close to our location. The deal was made
subject to a minimum term of 6 months.
On the evening of Tuesday 1st September we
received a telephone call from Tony Pope, the
Managing Director of TSO, informing us that
their contract had been cancelled and that
they no longer required the accommodation.

Hi if you need me to go over the statement then that is an additional question to the one you originally asked so Huw oils need to post as a separate one please. Thanks
Ben Jones and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you