How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50154
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

If I am working in a registered branch in Saudi Arabia for

Customer Question

If I am working in a registered branch in Saudi Arabia for a well known British business group, my employment contract signed in Saudi Arabia and refer to the Saudi law. I had a problem with my Boss and he want to dismiss me after 6 years of service for what I think is a personal reason.
Do I have the right to go to the British law in UK?
I am not a British citizen, I am Egyptian.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
Hello is the only connection to the UK that the employer is a British company?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes and my Boss is British as well
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
Hello, sorry I was offline when you replied this morning. Just because you are working for a UK company would not give you automatic rights to rely on UK employment laws. The law itself is somewhat silent in how this is determined and one has to look at case law, with the main case being that of Lawson v Serco, which outlined that the following cases will qualify for unfair dismissal protection under UK laws:· Employees ordinarily working in Great Britain.· Travelling employees – for these types of employees their base will be treated as their place of employment and that country’s laws will apply· Expatriate employees – these are employees who were employed in the UK and were then sent out to another country· Equally strong connection with Great Britain - employees who do not fit into the above categories, but have "equally strong" connections with Great Britain and British employment law, might also be covered. I am afraid that simply working for a British employer and be based abroad is not sufficient – there has to be a strong connection to the UK and in this case I cannot see anything that would qualify - the only connection you have is that the employer is a UK company and that on its own will not be enough. So I am afraid I cannot see any factors which will allow you to seek protection under UK law and Saudi law will apply here. I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.