How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 823
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

I am a leaseholder who rents out my flat. The wooden windows

Customer Question

I am a leaseholder who rents out my flat. The wooden windows in place are rotten and currently causing damp issues.
Last year (September ish) the housing association told me that the windows where going to be replaced with new double glazing, at first I was led to believe that this would be before Xmas, then I was told in this financial year now am being told that it will be August before we now more.
The problem is that the current windows are rotten, causing damp issues and in the bathroom there is even plant life growing in the frame, this is obviously not an ideal for the current tenant who has complained.
I have spoken to the housing association and informed them of the current position but they are unwilling to do anything about it and tell me I will have to wait until August before they will discuss the windows with all the leaseholders. I need to now more about my rights and what my next steps are as they property can not be left in the current state and I feel like my hands are tied.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you. Are the Housing Association your freeholders? Is your tenancy agreement direct with the tenant or is this a letting arrangement through the Housing Association.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I think knightstone are the freeholder and we have a direct contract with tenant via a management company who act on our behalf
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have checked and knightstone are the management company for a private freeholder
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Ok well you are then responsible to your tenant for the disrepair and he will be able to claim against you for disrepair if there are defects to the structure or exterior. Rotting windows will count as your responsibility to your tenant. He could bring an action requiring you to fix them and seeking compensation. I suspect your freehoolder is meant to do works to the structure and exterior under your lease so you should check that and then get on to them quickly if it is their obligation to do repairs.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.