How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34908
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I reside at the property that fully belongs to my ex wife

This answer was rated:

Hi I reside at the property that fully belongs to my ex wife with her and her mother. Based on a consent order issued with the divorce I am entitled to stay there until the 16th of April. The two have tried on various occasions to make me leave the property earlier. They unsuccessfully used a solicitor who gave a 14 day notice, they also called the police with false accusation hoping the police will evict me. The police have checked my legal documents on various occasions as I try to show (which I think they started seeing from yesterday) that domestic abuse is taking place against me. This is just to give you an overview of the situation. Based on the consent order I had to pay certain bills, which I have been doing as those bills are on my name - except for one. However, my ex wife broke the agreement by bringing into the property her new partner which based on the consent order gives me the right to stop paying all bills until I have the legal right to leave. My question is this. Some days ago they tried to get ownership of the accounts of bills that I pay and are on my name. On one occasion they clearly tried to deceive the salesperson who works for the Internet service provider by lying that I leave much sooner than what I am supposed to and trying to use this as an excuse to get ownership of the internet account (which is on my name and I still pay). Would their attempt to mislead the Internet Service Provider in order to get ownership of my account be a 'criminal' offense? The ISP denied to 'help' through my account as I didn't give permission when the ISP contacted me about this matter. They said to them to make a new application. Is what they did (lying to the ISP about when I leave) a criminal offense or an offense of any type? Thank you very much.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstWhat is the exact wording of the Order relating to the bills?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Clare thank you for your response. Can I ask if this conversation is private or if it will be available in public from JustAnswer?
You can ask for the question to be locked at the end - or you can send the details via a drop box you can clear or something similar (so i have been told)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the petitioner (not me) agrees and undertakes that she shall pay to the respondent the sum of £xxx.xx (left out by me) per month in respect of her contribution to expense paid by the rspondent (telephone, broadband/internet, building and contents insurance, gas and electricity, council tax, boiler service and general household expenses) for each month or part of a month for which the respondent might remain in the property after July 2015 on the understanding that the respondent will continue to pay the itmes referred to. This is the part that relates to the bills I've been payibg.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She stopped paying this money, but that's not the main problem I need your expert advice. It is whether what I asked further up is a criminal (or civil) offense. If it is criminal I need to report it (with other offenses) to the police.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I stopped offering her access on the Internet by removing the router a day or two after she broke the agreement by bringing her partner to the property for a visit. My understanding is that when I move to a new property I can take this internet account with me. It doesn't belong to the property, but to me and if the ISP can offer their service where I will move to then I can take the service/account where I go.
Yes the account is yours - she can of course always start a new one!The breach of the Undertaking is not a Criminal matter - it remains a Civil one and even lying to try and get the account transferred is not going to attract the interest of the policeHowever breach of the Order is actually Contempt of Court for which a Civil Court can send someone to prisonPlease ask if you need further detailsClare
Clare and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your time and help.
You are welcome - I hope all goes as well as it can