How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Holly Your Own Question
Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7043
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
Type Your Law Question Here...
Michael Holly is online now

My uncle is having some problems since he left his care

Customer Question

My uncle is having some problems since he left his care home. While in hospital he has had money stolen from his account which tje bank dont seem to be very helpful about. Also when he returned home there was someone else in his house! So we need to find out where the money has gone and also what his status is on his property in Hammersmith.
Kind Regards
Joseph Lynch
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 2 years ago.
Do we know how the theft of the money occurred, If his card was used where was it who had access to it, who knew the number when and where was it used, was the matter reported to the police and why are the bank being difficult?Regarding his property is it rented , how long was he in care , was the rent/ mortgage paid, what happened to his belongings, who is in there now , did he receive any letters notices about the property?Best regardsMichael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Michael
My uncle has a book no card it was with him the whole time he was in hospital and the care home. The book he has at the moment states by a code where the money was taken from and where. So the only people who would have access are hospital and care home staff. The codes he believes are from Wembley or Park Royal.
Im getting in contact with you because from what he's telling me both the bank and the police didn't really want to know. He went to the police station in Wembley and has been to the citizens advice, but in my opinion nothing is happening.
In regards ***** ***** house the mortgage has been paid, he has no idea who's living in there now so he's assuming its now being rented. He has no idea where his belongings are, he's living out of 5 bags at my dads house. My uncles wife dealt with all financial matters and she is gone also. He was in hospital from april 2015 until October 2015 at Park Royal hospital, then moved to a care home in Wembley from oct 2015 until jan 2016. He believes that he has had 19,000 pounds stolen and his house.
Any more information required I will be glad to help.Kind Regards
Joseph Lynch
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 2 years ago.
This is all very strange.The sum of money taken is a large one and the theft must be reported to the police.If it has not been this might explain why the bank are not being helpful. In order to take money from an account with any bank a person must have a card and know the code or produce the book. As such it must be somebody close and explains why this type of fraud is not as common as we thinkIf the account was a joint account then the other party would have easy access.In respect of the house Office Copy Entries of the title to the property should be obtained to see if it has been sold. A local conveyancing solicitor will usually have an account at the Land Registry and be able to obtain them at a modest cost.Obviously the house could have only been sold had his signature been forged on the documents or some other type of fraud occurred. Check this before going to the police.If the deeds show the house is still in his name then I would simply knock on the door of the house and ask the people in it how they got there and ask for the name of the agents renting it or who they pay rent to. From there you are one step closer to getting to the bottom of this.Best regardsMichael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Michael
Strange is the right word indeed. I have just asked him again and he has been to police station and they told him they would look into it but didn't give him a reference number. He still has the old type bank book, he has three copies of a signature use to withdraw money that are foraged and not his. The back account is his own and not a joint account.
Im getting in contact with you because I am unable to dedicate enough time to do the digging around and contacting the right people as im in the army and I only get to see him every other weekend. Also he is an old and is not very mobile himself and only can rely on my dad for transport but he himself is very ill too.
Would it be possible for you to look into this and the price this would cost. I believe without some help this will never get sorted.King Regards
Joseph Lynch
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 2 years ago.
Dear *****phI would love to help but although I work full time as a lawyer I do not do so in private practice and am prohibited from taking private clients during my day job.However, a starting point would be a legal visit at the local Citizens Advice Bureau where they can recommend a small local firm who will pick this up and investigate it . I do know that I would love to know what is going on here !Best regardsMichael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Michael
Im sorry to hear you are unable to take this on. Im afraid yet again he has already been to the citizens advice and they him a leaflet on fraud, great help!!
Would you be able to recommend someone who I could get in contact with on my uncles behalf to help him. Any recommendations would be of great help. My uncle is staying with my dad who is in the Heathrow area.
Many thanks
Joseph Lynch
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 2 years ago.
Dear *****ph I apologise for the delay in responding. I do not know that area too well.Your uncle could use the local paper as a guide to the solicitors in the area.He should be able to find one who will give a first interview free so he can discuss the position. Your uncle may qualify for free legal advice and assistance since whilst he has a house it is not currently in his possession.Best wishesMichaelBest regards